Wednesday, January 30, 2008

2). What is Web 2.0 and Why Should I Care?

I didn't realize there has been so much discussion going on about Library 2.0. After reading John Blyberg's blog and viewing the Murdoch University video, 23 Things Programme, I continued to read many of the linked articles and blogs. Librarians are so very passionate about what they do, but I knew that since I've been part of library support staff for almost 35 years.

I agree with libraries having to continue to move forward with the new technologies, especially since this seems to be what many of our patrons/customers are looking for. More information, delivered faster, in every format, and delivered with the newest technologies.

The debate about funding Library 2.0 is a never ending dilemma. How do you balance buying the latest best seller and still keep the teens dancing to Dance Dance Revolution? And for the people who don't own their own computer or can't pay for the fastest data delivery service, do you keep buying more and more computers for public use? Can libraries afford to be everything for everybody?



What are my expectations for 23 Things on a Stick:
Well, I'm hoping to learn a few new things and keep up with the technology that's now a big part of my library. I've encourage several of my colleagues, who are also support staff, to participate in this learning project. I'm finding it's a great opportunity to connect with the new features at my library and started a dialog with some of us behind-the-scenes workers.

No comments: